Saturday, December 3, 2011

It's The Little Things

The Madville Times has already indicated my disgruntlement about a new limitation at the SDHSAA State Oral Interpretation Festival/Tournament/Competition/Event.  I am a curmudgeon, even though my mother taught me that I should say nice things.  Tonight, I will listen to my mother and look at some good things that happen at this event.

First, two young women prepared pieces in events they don't really like in order for the team to participate in every event.  Both worked hard to get their pieces ready for competition.

Second, three sophomores got better throughout the season.  One earned a superior today.  The other two perform tomorrow. Seeing young students become accomplished practitioners of their craft makes it a little easier to get up in the morning.

Third, a senior in her second year of competition grew from a nervous young woman who seemed scared of her shadow last year to one of the most confident and polished performers on the team this year.

Fourth, having a skilled senior nail a performance and cover up my limitations as a coach is always humbling and rewarding.

Finally, seeing a first time performer recruited from the football team get into the part, become better each practice, and become a vital part of readers' theatre performance makes it hard to stay a curmudgeon for long.

2 comments:

caheidelberger said...

Getting better every time—that's the way to make coach happy, kids!

yanktonirishred said...

Glad it went well coach!!!