Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What I've Learned About Blogging

According to Blogger, I have now published slightly more than 500 posts and some of them have actually been viewed by more than one person.  Here's what I have learned so far.

1.  Pictures and YouTube clips produce lots of one time traffic but few returns visitors.

2. I'm a poor judge of which posts will be get views and comments.  I think that fact illustrates that I knew what I was doing when I picked the adjective "displaced" for the blog's title.

3. My proofreading and keyboarding skills still suck.

4.  Blogging well requires a bigger time commitment than I had thought.  One thing I can tell my students after the past few months is that ideas don't develop quickly or in a vacuum.  Nearly everything I have written has taken more time than I thought it would and came from a reaction to or an effort to supplement something I read somewhere else.

5. Cats like to grab humans' hands when humans type on the computer keyboard.  This "game" makes proofreading much more important.

6. Blogs probably work better if one sticks to a single subject or locale.  Writing about a few political issues, pop culture, educational issues, and issues related to teaching English probably segments an audience.  I don't do much local stuff that promotes comments or regular daily traffic.

7.  It's much easier to speak snark than it is to write snark.

8. I have to apologize to my students at some point.  I tell them to be concise, but when rushed I tend to get wordy.  I should practice what I preach.

9. Blogging daily requires discipline and routine.  Angry Birds destroys discipline; the start of school changed routine.

10. This medium makes it far easier for me to accentuate the negative.  I will need to look at writing about more things I support rather than things I oppose or statements I wish to critique.

4 comments:

caheidelberger said...

On #10: you're still one up on the Tea Party. And the negative can still be positive by pointing out the bad and preventing it from getting worse.

yanktonirishred said...

and you entertain the masses (me)

LK said...

Shane,

I do my best. When I hear that I entertain and amuse others, I always think of this Joe Pesci scene from Goodfellas.

LK said...

I suppose I should have left the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ff46b58Hk