Thursday, August 11, 2011

Being President Is Like An Item On A Bucket List?

Governor Rick Perry will announce that he's running for President.  Unlike George W. Bush who infamously claimed he didn't seek help from the previous Republican to hold the office, Perry sought out advice.
In an interview with Time magazine, Perry, who's set to make an announcement about entering the race this weekend in South Carolina, said he has decided he wants to be president. And he said his predecessor in Texas governor prodded him toward running.
" 'You’ll do what’s right,' " Perry said Bush had told him when Perry called the former president on his birthday. "He said you don’t want to wake up when you’re 70 and go, 'I wish I had tried that. I wish I had done that.' "
So, the best reason to run for President is "you don’t want to wake up when you’re 70 and go, 'I wish I had tried that. I wish I had done that.' "  I thought doing something big to avoid regret was the reason for a Bucket List.

What happened to skydiving, bungee jumping, winning the Coney Island hot dog eating contest, going to a baseball fantasy weekend, visiting every Starbucks in the world, eating at every restaurant that Guy Fieri profiles, following what remains of the Grateful Dead for a summer, designing the next Mt. Rushmore, attending the Sturgis rally, climbing Mt. Everest, backpacking through Europe, walking the Great Wall of China, or memorizing every name in Iceland's phone book?

I would prefer Governor Perry seek the presidency because he has a plan to create jobs, reduce the debt, preserve the social safety net, and extricate the country from interminable wars that can't be won.
(HT @coralhei)

No comments: