Monday, July 5, 2010

Once Again, I'm Confused.

I really don't want to get into a major argument with some of the regular commentators of the Madville Times, especially those who comment on posts like this Independence Day observation.  I seldom wade into religion and America discussions because most of those arguments (I'm using the term to denote screaming and shouting and throwing hissy fits as opposed to issuing a series of propositions to establish a supportable logical position) will have the same outcome as a pissing contest with a skunk:  there may be some relief, but the odor will be terrible.

I realize that in Matthew 5:10-12 Christ says, “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you."  That being said, however, I don't see anything in this injunction that implies that Christ's followers should make it easy on those who would mock them by saying incredibly stupid things that make it easy for sites like Tea Party Jesus to make little satirical comments like this one.

I'm sure many will be offended that artistic renderings of Jesus are being used in this way.  They should be offended that many of the artistic renderings are really horrendous and inaccurate.  I don't think First Century Palestine featured any blond, blue-eyed Jews.

One would hope that seeing rather idiotic or vile or unchristian comments coming out Jesus' mouth would make people stop and think before they speak, but that would require me to be more optimistic than I have ever been in my life. 

My natural pessimism leaves me with two options:  remembering to  "...work out [my]  salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for  His  good pleasure" Philippians 2:12b-13.  I also need to remember "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts" Isaiah 55:8-9.  The first injunction will take up most of my time.  The second is just a reminder that we mere mortals are never going to be as smart as we think we are.

No comments: