Monday, April 5, 2010

Sisyphus, Hypocrisies, Myths, and Baseball

When the teacher who writes posted about correcting and moiling, I commented that correcting stacks of papers is "emulating Sisyphus."  I spent part of today pushing the correcting rock up the hill only to have it roll down on me several times.

While correcting, I came to the conclusion that blogging makes me a hypocrite.  Maybe other teachers think their posts through, but all of the posts here are first drafts.  Because most posts are dashed off quickly, they contain errors that teachers mark on students' papers.  Thank God for cognitive dissonance and the ability to rationalize.

Mythology teachers, however, know that seeing faults in others but not in one's self leads to tragic errors such as those that befell Prometheus or Oedipus.  I'm willing to take that risk today because baseball is back.  The myths show that Oedipus will eventually be seen as blessing not a curse, and Prometheus will eventually shed his chains and leave the mountain.  Baseball means he world is renewed until the World Series in late October and early November.

The previous paragraph may a rationalization, but it's a damn good one.  I'm off to watch some baseball.

No comments: